10.24.2008

Co op

So I had mentioned a couple of months ago that I joined a co op. Well since then I have actually been hosting the group in my house every two weeks. The guy that was doing it before decided he did not want to do it anymore so I volunteered. It is not that bad the truck drops off the vegetables and fruit at my house. A helper and I separate it into 30 totes, 2 totes per member. I don't mind doing it. Hey I get my share for free and whatever is left over which is usually greens like lettuce and kale. I like being in this co op. We get a lot of yummy things. For example yesterday we received egg Plant, Onions, cucumbers, zucchinis, juiced carrots, Rainbow chard (which I have no idea what to do with), Green Leaf Lettuce, Garlic, Yukon Gold Potatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Yellow Onions, Bananas, Red Delicious Apples, Green Grapes,and Oranges. I also do an extra share of fruit because of the monkeys they eat a lot of fruit, even though for that I do have to pay, I don't mind. It is a lot less than I would have to pay at the supermarket. Anyway yesterday I also got my fruit share and it is A LOT really we got 24 pomegranates, 6lbs of strawberries, and 3lbs of raspberries which now it is probably only about 1lb left, thanks to Gaby. I just hope that the kids can eat them fast enough before they go bad.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds great. I wish I could host and get my CSA share for free. Mine is done for the winter after next week.

    You can cook chard like spinach.
    Take the leaves off of the stems, cut the stems into pieces and saute them in a little oil. Then after they are soft add the leaves. It's good with garlic or you can saute onions at the same time as the stems. It goes well with feta cheese or parmesan.

    That is a lot of pomegranates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks luckily ours is all year long.
    I going to try that out with the chard. I love feta and parmesan.
    I made popsicle and juice with some of them yesterday for the kids and we still have 12 left.

    ReplyDelete